Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Everything Happens For a Reason....

I believe everything happens for a reason, and if we don't know that reason right away, we will someday! - Alison Cummins

This quote was posted on my friend Alison Cummins blog on 10-12-08 titled Randomness and the words and message just meant so much to me. I really appreciate Alison for writing it. I don't know how many times I have said this very same thing to myself when I have been down. So, when I read Alison's blog, it prompted me to write the following:

I am not very good with words, so bear with me. As most of you know, Jason and I tried for many years to have children. We had 5 miscarriages and 1 ectopic pregnancy. After the last miscarriage, I really questioned God and why he would put us through what we were going through at the time. I wondered why he would always let us find out we were expecting, and then yank all the excitement right out from under us. We even quit going to church for some time. (I am not sure if it was all anger, Bro. Ray left Gath around the same time we quit going, so I think it was several things). I just did not understand. I was full of anger. At any rate, I got REALLY depressed.. No joke.. I did not want to be around children, did not go to baby showers I should have been at, did not "throw" the baby showers I should have thrown, was full of jealously and doubt, pretty much did not want to do anything nor see anyone. The last couple of times I found out I was pregnant, I only told a select few people. (If any, I can't really remember). Then, in November 2004, Jason and I contacted Heaven Sent Children about adopting. Now, for those of you who know me, I never thought I would adopt a child. That just wasn't my plan,nor Jason's, but obviously it was God's. We have the most precious baby girl and we could not even imagine our lives without her. She is the greatest blessing. Now, God knew what we needed. I can tell you that Jason and I would not have adopted if I would have had a successful pregnancy and Olivia would not be here, and that breaks my heart just thinking about it. I thank God everyday now for Olivia and for all the trials I have been through, as there are reasons for them. (Even though they did really hurt at the time) If you take anything from this post, please learn to lay your life in God's hands and trust in him. There is a reason for everything, even if you do not know it right away. I want to thank Alison for her beautiful post as it inspired me to write mine. I don't think I have ever said these words to anyone except my husband. I hope it helps someone else who may have doubts now or later in life. Those words that Alison posted---- keep saying them to yourself when you get down. God will guide you through and never give you more than you can handle.

I also found this picture yesterday at Kirklands while Jason and I were Christmas shopping that had the following quote on it that I love:

Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see
Hebrews11:1. (So very true!)

5 comments:

Alison Cummins said...

Tanya,
I am so glad my post allowed you the opportunity to write this. It was just a bunch of "rambling" but I am thankful that it touched you and others are now able to hear your story. It is beautiful!! Thank you for sharing! Have a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

Tanya-
I think you have a beautiful life. I'm so sorry for what you had to go through, but, like you, I think everything happens for a reason. Your family is precious and I know that you are surrounded by people who love you, including me!

The Bullock's said...

Tanya,
I agree with you 100% and follow this as well. I have been going through some stuff lately. I just met up with me friends from high school and I am so envious of everyone else. Real Estate is slow and money is very tight, basically I am pretty out of it, since Lexi's adoption. I have been applying for jobs and no one has called. I am torn with staying home with my kids and earning little money or earning a big paycheck again and being able to give my kids the world! I am pretty depressed lately and am trying to hang on to those words.

Thanks for the inspiration,
Sam

Unknown said...

Tanya, thanks so much for sharing. God is good!

Tonya said...

I read this and couldnt help tearing up. I watched you go through these struggles of wanting to be a mom. I hated to tell you when I got pregnant with Hannah because I knew it was going to be hard for you. Me and Robert were so blessed to not have any trouble and you had been through so much. I cant help but feel that is why we drifted apart. I was scared to share my happiness with you and my sadness that you couldnt have your own baby. Now you have Olivia and she was meant for you and Jason. God picked the perfect child for you guys. And now we have eachother again and I am really enjoying it. I never realized how much I really missed you guys until we reconnected. Now our little girls can have those sleepovers we always talked about. And Erica is right you are not as much of a "spaz" as you were with her kids. You are a good mother and I always knew you would be.