Monday, December 22, 2008

The Candy Cane......



My precious and wonderful step mom (Patsy McBride) shared this information with me about the candy cane, and I thought I would pass it on to you. I had never heard it before (but I think it has been around for a while) so I found it very interesting and so sweet. Someone gave it to her as well. Thank you Patsy for sharing with me and letting me share this with friends on my blog. Love you bunches. Here goes.......

The candy cane is in the shape of a shepherd's staff to show Jesus is our Shepherd and we are His flock. Upside down the candy cane is a "J", the first letter of Jesus' name. It is made of hard candy which reminds us that Christ is the rock of our salvation. The wide red stripes on the candy cane represent the blood He shed on the cross for each one of us so that we can have eternal life through Him. The white stripes on a candy cane represent the virgin birth, sinless life and purity of our Lord. The three narrow red stripes on candy canes symbolize that by His stripes, or wounds, we are healed and the Trinity ~ the Father, Son (Jesus) and Holy Spirit. When we break our candy cane it reminds us that Jesus' body was broken for us. If we share our candy cane and give some to someone else in love because we want to, it represents that same love of Jesus because He is to be shared with one another in love. Merry Christmas friends!


3 comments:

MaKayla said...

That`s so sweet!In class one day at church we leared it.I knew it heard somewhere!:)

Veronica Stepien said...

More of the real reason to celebrate this season. Thanks for the reminder. Love Veronica

Saylorsmom said...

Hey how is Charlie? I was wondering about him.