Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Good News From the Doctors Yesterday.......

So yesterday, after Olivia had her tests run, the doctors told us that it should be a fairly simple surgery and that she should get to go home same day!!! Yay!!! When he ran the dye through her little sinus cavity (hole), it was very superficial!! He was worried that it might have run deep into her chest cavity or up into her neck and throat, but it didn't.... (There is still a slim chance it does, but the tests didn't show it if it does) Also, her renal ultrasound (kidney test), came back normal!! (Well, radiology still has to read them, but the lady who done it said it looks normal to her!) So, overall good news yesterday!!

By the way, for those of you who asked, Olivia has a branchial cleft anomaly. Okay, I will explain this best I can. It is a small pinhole in her chest just below her clavicle that is a congenital birth defect. (A sinus that didn't fully develop is how they explained it to me) She also has one just above her left ear, only the ear isn't giving us the problems, it is the one on her chest. When we first got Olivia, I thought she had what was a small little bump or pimple on her chest. Didn't pay much attention to it for a while because it was so tiny, you could barely see it. Then, every once in a while, I would go to pick up Olivia and she would have this terrrible stinky smell around her neck that I thought was sour milk running down her chin and on to her neck making her little neck stink... Then, one night I gave her a bath and got her out of the tub and was lotioning her up when I smelled that terrible stinky smell again and realized, "Okay, this is not milk!". Thus, here we are!!! The ear doesn't drain and smell, but they want to go ahead and remove it as well since she is going to be asleep anyway and before it can cause any problems...So, I hope this helps a little bit. Surgery is still scheduled for the 12th of May.... Oh, and the renal ultrasound (kidney) was done because a lot of times kids with these branchial cleft anomalies also have some kidney problems as well......A special thank you to all of you who prayed for us yesterday...

5 comments:

Veronica Stepien said...

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!!!! Keep us updated. So glad you got good news. I will keep you all in my prayers. Lots of love!!

Mandy said...

Wonderful news Tanya! I know you are thrilled!
Much love!

Chandi said...

So glad to here everything is okay with little Olivia!

LeAnne Grissom said...

I am glad you recieved good new. I have been out of the loop for a couple of days. If there is anything that we can do for you guys just give me a call. The boys will put her in their prayers as will we. Call if you need anything.

Alison Cummins said...

I am so glad all went well! Prayers are answered all the time!
Love you guys!